Internship opportunities at A2I2
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, internships this year can take place virtually. Despite this, we will only consider candidates who are currently living in Australia.
About our program
The Applied Artificial Intelligence Institute (A2I2) is a top Australian research body focusing on Human-centred Artificial Intelligence (AI), with world-class research facilities. Our interests cover a wide range of AI topics, including but not limited to Reinforcement Learning, Deep Learning, Optimisation, Reasoning, Computer Vision, Biomedicine and Software Engineering.
Interning at A2I2 offers a unique opportunity to collaborate with renowned researchers and talented software engineers, who consistently publish in top international AI/ML conferences (NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, AAAI, IJCAI, CVPR, ICCV, KDD) and Q1 journals, and develop advanced AI products in healthcare (EDIE, Dementia Friendly Home) and security (icetana).
Interns will be signed up with a mentor and participate in research projects with the ultimate goal of pushing the frontiers of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
The internship will be 3 months full-time between November 2020 and March 2021. Interns will be supported at $1,500 per month.
We offer internships in both Research Scientist and Research Engineer roles.
Research Scientist interns engage in a diverse and stimulating range of activities including:
- Design, implement, and evaluate models and research software prototypes,
- Report and present research findings and developments including status and results, and
- Suggest and engage in team collaborations to complete assigned scientific tasks/projects.
Research Engineer interns work with our Researchers and Engineers to:
- Develop new AI/ML algorithms and applications, analyse agents behaviours and visualise results.
- Collaborate with fellow interns and team members to design and implement solutions to interesting and complex software problems, and
- Improve and strengthen software engineering best practices.
To apply for Research Scientist Internships, you should be:
- Current PhD, Masters or Senior Undergraduate student where your core focus is on machine learning, artificial intelligence, deep learning, computational theory, or related fields.
- Have an excellent academic record.
- Be proficient in programming.
- Having proven research capability in a relevant field of research (e.g. computer science, machine learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning, computer vision, etc) is an advantage.
To apply for Research Engineer Internships, you should be:
- Current PhD, Masters or Senior Undergraduate student in computation-intensive fields (computer science, engineering, data science, etc) with an excellent academic record.
- Have a solid foundation in computer science theory, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design.
- Experience in at least one maintainable language: Java, C, C++, Python, together with an interest in AI or machine learning.
- Successful past internships (or full time employment) in a technical role is an advantage.
Interested applicants can apply by sending a CV, a copy of their academic record and a brief description of their research interests.
Applications should be sent to Dr Trang Tran, HDR Coordinator at email@example.com
A2I2 will be reviewing applications and scheduling interviews from now until end of November 2020.
Internships at A2I2 are available for the following periods:
- Spring and Summer (October through March)
- Fall and Winter (April through September)
Contact Dr Trang Tran if you have any enquiries.